Monday, March 29, 2010

Calm and relaxed

Years ago I would have never pegged myself as someone who would even consider having a natural childbirth. After all why go through all that without meds when we live in a world with some many options available. But once I got pregnant, and even a little before, I started researching the prospect of having one of those crazy, hippie births...

I have heard that I am crazy for even considering this option, from nurses I work with to close friends of mine. Most people are stunned and just don't understand why I would even think about doing this drug free, after all, I must have forgotten where babies come from. Ouch. They are quick to point out that there is no way I will be able to do it.

I say why not? There are plenty of women out there who have had babies without the use of epidurals, pitocin, and other pain medications. Women had babies for thousands of years without medication, and many nations still don't use it (many with better statistical outcomes, I might add). It's funny because when I mention the fact that I will try to go au naturale, after all the negative comments are finished, there is always someone who talks to me quietly about how they had their baby or babies naturally and how they are the biggest wimps ever, but they could do it. Why aren't these people screaming their stories from the roof tops? They should be so proud of themselves and try to share their story with everyone. But they are quiet, and all you ever hear or see are the "war stories" about how terrible childbirth is.

Now I am not going into this decision blindly or without at least some tools to try and make this experience as least painful as possible. Firstly, Ros and I are taking a natural childbirth class. Which I personally don't think is totally necessary as we know the different stages of labor and whatnot. But they do teach different birthing positions which I find insightful and it's something that Ros and I can do together. Secondly, I have started using a course called Hypnobabies. I found Hypnobabies on the internet after our original hypnobirthing class was cancelled. With this course you read their manual, listen to positive pregnancy and birth affirmations daily, and various hypnosis cd's. Will this work for me and help me have a natural birth? I guess we won't know until July comes and we actually have to use it, but from what I've read, if you are dedicated to using the program, you will be successful. My philosophy is, if I need the drugs, I will get them, but I will do everything in my power to avoid them. Who knows what kind of side effects they will find these drugs have down the road. I'm sure James Sokolov will have a commercial in the future so you can get the compensation you deserve.

So for the past week and until my first "birthing wave" hits I am a dedicated student of Hypnobabies. Not because I am some hippie or some martyr who loves to torture myself, but because I want to avoid the endless cascade of interventions that usually accompany "regular" births such as:
1. being induced with pitocin and strapped to a monitor and confined to the bed
2. then the contractions are so bad due to this fake hormone that you have no choice but to get an epidural
3. then you are tethered to the bed because you can't feel/move your legs
4. you get a catheter
5. all of sudden the baby is in distress because the contractions are so strong because the pitocin is making your uterus squeeze too hard
6. then an emergency c-section

Watching the Business of Being Born was very enlightening. Although I wouldn't consider a homebirth, the info provided in this documentary is eye opening.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! May you have the birth you are hoping for! I think regardless of what actually transpires as long as you and the baby are healthy...that is all that really matters. We both chose scheduled c-sections but we are firm believers in to each their own so all the power to you!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want a natural birth, I say give it a try. You can always amend your plan as you go if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for another blogger that is going au natural. We signed up for our hippie childbirth class recently and I plan on looking into hypnobabies too. DW is super supportive, but has already told me that there is no way she will get in the birthing tub with me. Lots and lots of luck!

    ReplyDelete