Thursday, February 11, 2010

Phew, that was close.

We had our 20 week anatomy scan today. It was so nice to see Nugget moving all around. Unfortunately due to my anterior placenta, I won't really be feeling her acrobatics for a little while longer. Although I have felt little twinges now and again which I attribute to gas, in reality it is probably our little worm moving around.

Today was an interesting day. First off, the office called early to see if we wanted to change the appointment time. Our original time was scheduled for 2pm but due to the impending "blizzard" we went in at 10:30am. Ten thirty doesn't sound like too bad of a time, but when you just worked until 3:30am, then came home and chatted with your wife til 4, it seems very early. We got there on time even though we didn't get up until 9:50 and the office is about 25 minutes away. Then we sat there in the waiting room for about 30 minutes before getting called in. I hopped up onto the table in a small little closet being passed off as an ultrasound room. All was well in the beginning, Nugget is in there sucking her thumb, constantly holding her hands up to her face, little ankles crossed. After about 15 minutes I found myself not really enjoying the temperature of the room. I took my sweatshirt off, which made it better for about 3 minutes. My legs started feeling funny, kind of tingly. I kept thinking, am I going to puke? I'm laying there, can't focus on what the tech is doing, my back is sweating. I don't know who realized something was up either the tech or Ros, but I'm glad someone did. I rolled onto my left side and got a cool paper towel, and after a few minutes I was ok. I don't know if I was vagaling myself laying on my vena cava so long or what, but phew, that was close.

After my near syncopal episode, Nugget decided to be stubborn and not let the tech get a good look at her spine. The tech told me to take a few minutes and walk around the office to try to get her to roll. We went out, I looked ridiculous pacing and jiggling my belly. But all my hard work paid off as Nugget had flipped completely over and we got a perfect shot of her spine. All looked good with the scan. It's funny, as the tech was measuring everything (head and arms) they all measured a bit over 20 weeks. When she got to her legs, 19w 3d. Hilarious, this little peanut is going to have short stubby legs just like her mama.

Good thing we had our "unofficial" ultrasound at 15 weeks and clearly saw Nuggets three little girly lines because this stubborn little princess was being very modest today. Either her legs were crossed or closely together the whole scan. The tech couldn't be sure if Nugget is still a nuggette, but she didn't see any boy parts the whole time, so she says 75% girl.

I can't believe we're almost halfway through. I'm still feeling good. My new annoyance of the week is hearing my heartbeat in my R ear. It's not there all the time, only about 80% of the time. It's pretty annoying, but there isn't anything I can do for it. My blood pressure is fine and there is no infection to be seen so we'll chalk it up to my doubling blood volume and since I can't drain myself, I guess I'll just have to live with it.

1 comment:

  1. I used to have that problem with the hearing of my heartbeat. They said it could be from fluid in there too, and if it was really annoying me I could take one regular sudafed...which i did sometimes and it worked really well!