Monday, July 19, 2010

Double digits

Wow, I can't believe our baby is double digits in days already. We've been home from the hospital for 1 week and I think we are adjusting OK. We had to stay an extra night in the hospital because Dillon's bilirubin levels were a little high so she had to spend 24 hours tanning under the bili lights. This was definitely our worse night in the hospital as we could only hold her every 3 hours to feed and change her and then it was back under the lights. It was also fun sleeping in a room with what seemed to be a huge neon sign. But we made it through and she is no longer the color of a highlighter.
It has been quite an adjustment being home with a new baby. I didn't know how hard it would be to breastfeed. I was prepared for the sore nipples but I wasn't prepared for the constant, around the clock feedings. It kind of sucks to be the only one who can feed her right now, especially at night when all I want to do is sleep, but I have to get up every 3ish hours to feed her. We are lucky that most nights we have to wake her to eat and then she falls back asleep giving me intermittent 2-3 hour stretches at a time. This wasn't the case our 2nd night home as I consumed too much dairy that day (every meal I ate had some sort of dairy product) and we paid the price that night with a fussy, gassy baby. I have since cut way down on the dairy, which is really hard as cheese is my favorite food. But I love sleep more so I'll just have to deal.


Ros has made the transition into parenthood easier for me. I don't know how people are able to do this job on their own. Ros has been taking care of most things around the house so I can be Bessie the cow and basically just heal. She gets repaid in naps, which she was able to take a 5 hour one today...more sleep than she's probably gotten in days. It's been awesome to watch her turn into the terrific mother I knew she'd be.


The baby and the dogs are getting along well. Tucker really couldn't care less about her, although he will give her a quick lick now and then. Avery wants to be Dillon's 3rd mother. She gets very concerned when the baby cries and immediately wants to help, sometimes it seems by smothering her. The hardest thing has been trying to keep Avery's tongue out of her face, which we have been managing.
Overall I'd say we are doing pretty well. The hormones seem to be evening themselves out, as I didn't cry at all yesterday, and I don't think I will today. The hardest part is the sleep deprivation, although I know it's a lot worse for many people. For now, we'll just keep snapping pictures and enjoying everyday with her watching her grow and change.


6 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so happy things are going well! Both of my kids had terrible milk protein allergies, so I understand the fussiness!
    Your dogs sound like they're pretty laid back about the whole 'new baby' thing. My cats were pretty good, although they were just relieved that I came home after being away in the NICU for 2 weeks. I think I could have come home with a pet elephant and they wouldn't have cared, lol.
    The pics are adorable! So glad her stay in the tanning booth was a short one! I saved Farty's 'sunglasses' to show him some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is just beautiful!! she has a much hair as my Sydnee did when she was born. How much did she weigh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy gorgeous baby! Congrats on her arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  4. she was 8lbs 2oz, 21 inches... Not the beast everyone thought she'd be... But definitly big enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete