Wednesday, May 5, 2010

3rd trimester rant

Wow, can't believe we theoretically have only 9 weeks to go. Well I guess theoretically we could have a healthy baby here in 6, I hope we don't have any more than 9 because this torso can't handle it...

I hate to whine about my pregnancy, because so far, it's been pretty good. I'd say that I do pretty well being pregnant, but since this 3rd trimester has hit, honestly I haven't been feeling so great. I am happy to report that the Floradix iron supplement has made me feel less like death. I now feel more energetic and less like the couch is my permanent grave that I am stuck in. Although I do still enjoy napping, it's not quite the necessity that it was a couple weeks ago. As far as the non-constipating aspect, I can't say that it's worsened things, but they aren't great. I am drinking pear juice daily, which helps a bit, but I think a stick of dynamite might work better.

This past weekend was pretty rough. I started out strong on Saturday, working, felt pretty good. Then around 11pm, bam, started feeling hellish. Nausea, stabbing upper abdominal pain, vurping up of the salad I ate 4 hours earlier for dinner, pretty unpleasant things. I had hoped that things would improve after a "good" nights rest, but I woke up Sunday feeling even more cruddy. I had to call into work, there was no way I could care for people while I was feeling that bad. I never puked, but I came close a couple times. I had no appetite until today, at which time I woke up ravenous at 8am. I'm glad I'm feeling better, so I have hopes that maybe I caught a little GI bug from the tainted Boston water I came in contact with while at work on Saturday, and that it's not just general pregnancy crapiness.

As I trudge through this last trimester, I am hoping that I can fulfill my plan of working until I go into labor, or at least make it until my due date of July 6th. Not so easy when you work 12 hour shifts in a fairly busy ER, during peak hours of 3pm-3am. But my goal is to spend as much quality time with the peanut as I can before returning (even on a part time basis). So I'm trying to save as much sick time as I can since finding out that short term disability only pays 70% for 4 weeks and not the 6 that I had originally thought. The rest is on me and my earned time. If I continue to ration it (despite this Sunday's sick call), I should be OK to be paid fully for the remaining 8 weeks I will be taking off. I am so excited that 9 of those weeks will be spent with my wonderful wife.

Things about the 3rd trimester that I hate:
*feeling so full and big that it's hard to breathe
*not being able to turn over in bed without a lot of huffing and puffing and waking the wife
every time
*constant back pain
*very frequent reflux
*waddling around at work trying to be productive
*not being able to see anything past my upper abdomen without some sort of mirror
*constipation and frequent urination
*becoming very easily fatigued
*having to repeat my due date over and over again to people whom I've already told a
thousand times and explaining to them that although I seem big, I am measuring exactly
where I should be

Things aren't so terrible now although I am whining like they are. I get to feel Nugget twist and turn all the time, and so does Ros. We can see my belly move, although I haven't noticed any discernible feet or hands trying to escape. It's really nice to have strangers be so nice to me and to see traffic stop about 20 feet away when I cross the street. It's the only time in my life when I don't have to feel guilty about gaining 29 lbs in 31 weeks. It's awesome knowing that we will be meeting our daughter in a few months. I am very excited to be able to watch Ros as a parent and see what a truly awesome mom I know she'll be.

I promise to post some cute nursery pics as soon as we aren't too lazy to take them. Ros did such a nice job nesting and setting the whole thing up, I can't wait to share it.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, the home stretch is the hardest. I cursed my stupidity in buying a house with the bedrooms upstairs and the bathroom downstairs, it seemed like all I did all night was trek up and down those damn stairs. Not easy with a large kid on board!
    I did the 'work til just before birth' bit both times, and was happy to spend every available minute with my babies. Maternity leaves in this country are ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing about your experience! We are 2chicks, 2dogs, and 1kid to be born in September. Good luck with the third trimester and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete